Tax Strategies and Opportunities for Landlords During COVID-19 (Webinar)
In our second webinar in a series exploring the impact of COVID-19 on landlords, Azibo CEO Chris Hsu hosted Brandon Hall, CEO of The Real Estate CPA and Warren Dazzio, Executive Vice President of Cost Segregation Services, Inc. to discuss the most recent updates to federal stimulus programs, tax strategies to help landlords increase cash flow and advice on loan forbearance.
Some key insights from this webinar:
- Eligibility for the most relevant CARES Act program for landlords—the Economic Injury Disaster Loan Emergency Advance from the Small Business Administration—has changed to $1,000 per employee.
- Empathy is key when working with tenants impacted by COVID-19. Landlords should take the time to educate tenants about all of the benefits, unemployment programs and resources available so they can find ways to continue paying rent.
- Landlords can increase cash flow with tax strategies like cost segregation and the Qualified Improvement Property bonus, which can accelerate their depreciation and increase their Net Operating Loss. The CARES Act allows landlords to carry back Net Operating Losses to the last five years.
Join us next week for another free webinar on Thursday, May 7th at 9am PT / 12pm ET. We'll feature real estate CPA Eric Wallace and real estate tax attorney Matthew Rappaport, hosted by Chris Hsu, CEO & Co-Founder of Zibo, a financial services platform that empowers independent landlords.
These real estate experts will share more tax tips for landlords, including:
- How to take advantage of Tangible Property Regulations and Operating Loss carryback
- What landlords should know about eviction freezes
- CARES Act impact on 1031 exchanges
These free webinars are part of the Azibo series "Helping Landlords Navigate the Impact of COVID-19." As the current health crisis takes its toll on the economy, independent landlords across the U.S. are wondering how they’ll make their next mortgage payment and navigate this uncertain time. We hope these free weekly webinars provide the opportunity for landlords to have candid conversations with other members of the real estate community, learn best practices from experts, and apply strategies to stay afloat during these unprecedented challenges.